Monday, August 27, 2012

Crock-pot soup- Asian themed

Hello all!

So this weekend when I was supposed to be studying for neurobiology...BLECH...I came up with this wonderful recipe. My apartment smelled heavenly. If only you could capture smell in pictures. This soup combined two of my greatest loves in the kitchen: Asian flavors and my crock-pot. To me, the crock-pot or slow cooker whatever you want to call it, is the best invention ever....well for cooking devices at least. To just throw stuff in it, and slowly let it meld together and make the entire house fragrant, is just amazing and awesome. 

 This soup is super comforting, at least to me. It is has three strong flavors that are three of my favorite savory flavors- ginger, garlic, and sesame oil. I have been on such a ginger kick the past week. Putting sliced ginger in my water/tea with a squirt of lime....just make sure you don't cut the ginger on a cutting board previously used to cut garlic and put said ginger in tea, makes tea garlicky. Not so great actually. 

Ingredients:
4 chicken thighs- bone in, but skinned
~4 cups chicken broth ( I have since added 2-3 more cups because I added WAY to many noodles)
1 inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced,
4 cloves garlic- roughly chopped
~ 2tsp sesame oil or to taste. Remember sesame oil is very strong. A little goes a long way and it will overpower other flavors. 
~1/2 tsp sriracha sauce (rooster sauce)- once again a little goes a long way, it is flavorful but very hot. Best to add too little and add more later than add a whole bunch and not be able to taste.
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp dried onion
3/4tsp onion salt
3/4tsp celery salt
3/4tsp black pepper
~10 dashes of soy sauce
1 large carrot, sliced into coins
~2tsp of red wine vinegar (optional)
drizzle of agave (optional)- the vinegar and agave were to add a sweet/sour element...but not enough to really tell. 
Rice noodles- DON'T USE WHOLE 6OZ PACKAGE!!! WAY TOO MANE NOODLES!!!
lime, cilantro, and green onions for garnish

 Add all ingredients to crockpot (I used bullion cubes and added them in here)
 Add in 4cups of water
 Cover and set to high. Cook on high for ~5hrs, take chicken out and shred, set to low and cook 2 more hours.
 Add in rice noodles and let soften.


 Add garnishes of choice, and devour! Just looking makes my mouth water.
  
 Just a warning, I did not actually measure the spices, these are an approximation on the low side of what I used. Taste when chicken is cooked and alter to taste. 

What do you think of the recipe format? Any suggestions?

Happy eatings,
Smashley

No comments:

Post a Comment