Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Zucchini feast

Good morning!
I have a few posts I am going to do..lots of updates. So here is the first of I think at least 3 posts.

 One of my favorite parts of summer are the squash and zucchini. I know the best zucchinis are the small to medium ones, but when you grow them at home and don't go out every day, sometimes you get giant ones. Then you have a lot of food to make. I went a little crazy one night when I was left in charge of using a massive zucchini.  I made zucchini naan pesto pizza, grilled zucchini strips, and attempted to make baked "fried" zucchini. Everything was good, but my mom and I agreed hat the grilled strips were the best...they were also the easiest lol.

The pizza used garlic naan that I bought at an import store (but a pita would would also work fine), homemade pesto (we make so much right before the first frost and freeze it), EVOO, garlic, onion, tomatoes, rosemary, and of course zucchini and squash.

I first sauteed the veggies, garlic and onions until tender.  (next time it might be nice to use a little white wine...but I don't think we had any open at the time)
 After the veggies were tender and shrunken, I smeared the pesto on the naan, and topped with all of the veggies.

 Of course a pizza is not a pizza without cheese :D
I put the pizzas on the grill to melt the cheese. I did not put them directly on the grates, but put them on foil on top the grill. They cooked long enough the melt the cheese but I didn't want to burn the naan. 
 
Next I sliced the beast and tossed with EVOO, A&P, and some garlic powder. 


 I threw the slices on the grill on foil and let the grill do its magic. So easy and so tasty.

The last of the trip were the baked "fried" zucchini. I used Italian bread crumbs, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning for the breading, and an egg and milk wash.
 I baked them at 400 till crispy...sorry I don't know the exact time.
Then enjoyed the feast. I made a sauce of (ok I know this sounds weird, but it was fab) mayo, ketchup, horseradish mustard, and my beloved Franks. YUM!
Hope the zucchini feast inspired for when you have some extra zucchini.  What is your fav summer veggie to eat/cook?
Happy eatings,
Smashley

No comments:

Post a Comment