Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Avocado pita pizza

This has potential to become my new favorite pizza. It is seriously good, not only that, but the aftertaste is even better! OMG! I got the recipe off of punchfork.com but the actual recipe is from here.  I guess I am a little biased because I LOVE pita pizzas. I have had movie nights in the past with the focus on pita pizzas. My norm is a pesto pizza often with some squash/zucchini. This is a whole new ball park. new sauce, new feel, new toppings. The only thing this pizza was missing was a Corona with lime ans salt. That would have been pure heaven.

I made the sauce about an hour and a half ahead of time to let it all meld together. It was a good idea too. When i first finished the sauce, it was a little more olive oil-y and then after the time it was much more flavorful. Instead of 1 TBSP of green onion, I just used an entire stalk. I should have used ore jalapeno, but I countered that by later adding red pepper flakes. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.  I was once taught that the more brown stripe thingies that are on the jalapeno the spicier it is...but this one wasn't that great. I would recommend a home grown..I think they tend to pack more of a punch. 



I used a honey wheat pita and mozzarella. I added the red pepper flakes to pack the punch that the jalapeno didn't and baked the pizza till the edges of the cheese were just turning brown. Once again my avocado was wonderfully ripe. I sliced it and added some salt and pepper once onto the pizza. 



A few changes I would make in the future- more lime and cilantro, bake on the actual rack and not the foil [or potentially on a grill??? I think so ;) ], a little less EVOO, and maybe some extra cilantro and jalapeno on the pizza after removed from the oven.

So, what is your favorite pizza? Homemade or from somewhere else?

Happy eating,
Smashley

No comments:

Post a Comment