Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cinnamon Apples

Howdy!

Fall is probably my favorite season of the year. The weather allows for outdoors activity, it is the season for apple and pumpkin goodies, and the beginning of my busy season of birthdays and holidays.  So in the spirit of the fall equinox yesterday, I made crock-pot cinnamon apples. 

I found the recipe on pintrest (I am fully addicted) and thought it would be the perfect treat for a day full of studying for a neurobiology test on Tuesday. This is the recipe for the apples. I did some tweaking due to what I had on hand and previous apple dishes I have made before. 

First I did not have large apples- I bought a large bag of small gala apple from the store and needed to use them up. To supplement the lack or large apples i used 9 instead of 6. (yes I know there was 10 apples in the picture, but I felt that there were plenty of apple slices in the pot when slicing) Second I do not have nutmeg, so that went out the window. Finally I used 2tbsp of orange juice to give it a tart kick. I learned to make a baked apple in the microwave when I was a kid using a cored apple, stuffing it with cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and OJ and putting it in the microwave. Turns out great. So That is where I got the idea for O.J. 


 Apples sliced and in the crock pot.
 The rest of the ingredients in the pot. I then stirred all of the ingredients together.
 Final product. I chose to do the low for 4hrs in hopes of a wonderful smelling apartment for a longer period of time. Unfortunately I did not notice the fabulous smell unless I was stirring it. It turned out so good. Warm, gooey, happiness in a bowl!
Well, that is all for now. Happy autumnal equinox all! 
Happy eatings,
Smashley

No comments:

Post a Comment