Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes/ Lemon-Basil

Wow, it has been forever since i have posted food. I have had some crazy things happen cooking lately. Tuesday I made a bunch of cupcakes for the 4th of July. I made lemon and lemon-basil cupcakes with a raspberry frosting. It was amazing. I got the recipe here. Very easy and very yummy. If you have checked out the link, you will notice that there is no mention of basil in the recipe...that was my own brilliant idea. Also, because Aldi didn't have raspberries at the time I substituted blue berries instead of raspberry toppers, and no red food coloring. 

Here are a few things I would do different for the cupcakes/frosting:
1- more basil. I was afraid to use too much, so I used a few sprigs of mini basil and three leaves chopped in half of the batter. Definitely could have used more.
2- my dear friend Dani said basil in the frosting- also an amazing idea i have to try
3- my mom suggested a thin layer of the raspberry preserved that is in the frosting on the cupcakes before adding the frosting...so cake-preserves-frosting.
4- MAKE MORE! lol

But the recipe was great on its own. Def try it!



So, What was your fav thing to eat on the Fourth of July this year?
Mine was actually a drink my aunt made of bear/pink lemonade/ and vodka. So good. 
I will be posting more soon! Happy eatings,
Smashley :)

2 comments:

  1. I got to try one of these lovelies and it was devine. I just thought basil in the frosting would be interesting but it was wonderful without it.

    Dani

    ReplyDelete