Saturday, October 20, 2012

MMMM Pot Roast!!!

Happy Saturday Al!!

Today couldn't have been a better day for a wonderfully tender pot roast. It was cool, and for the most part gloomy. Perfect for crock-pot pot roast and studying for neurobiology and growth and development. Studying- not so great. The pot roast- FAB! So good.

I used the normal recipe of cream of mushroom soup and onion soup powder mix, but jazzed it up a bit. I added baby carrots, celery, onion, some Italian seasoning, and some Winking Owl Chardonnay. Very glad I added all of the extras. To go with the pot roast I made some cauliflower mashed "potatoes", some cheesy garlic bread, and some frozen peas. The cauliflower was meh. Not the best but not awful. It tasted fine, but didn't have to creamy fluffy texture like potatoes. Good to know for the next time.

Pot Roast:
3lbs chuck roast-  I got mine at Wal*Mart- be on the look out for mark downs. Mine was marked down $4 because the sell by date was 2 days away. Much cheaper- seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper
Handful of baby carrots
2 stalks of celery cut into chunks
2 cans "Fit and Active" brand cream of mushroom soup (I love Aldi, just saying)
1 package of powdered onion soup mix
A few dashes of Italian seasoning
A few splashes of chardonnay.

All of the ingredients went into the crock pot. It was set to high for the first two hours and then on low for about 5 more hours.





The cauliflower recipe I got here, and I am not knocking their recipe, just wasn't quite what I wanted as my side.

The roast was wonderful, though I did do a lot of scooping off grease. I got probably about a half of a cup of grease off. Just an FYI. I would say it was worth it. The meat was tender and juicy. I wish I had a larger to eat more ;) The wine in the cup is Oliver honey wine with black cherry flavoring, not as good as their soft red/rose/white.

Well- happy eatings,
Smashley


No comments:

Post a Comment